Silver Sunday (from 4 October 2020) is a week of special events to celebrate older people.
With the help of the voluntary sector and businesses, we have planned a range of events to improve the wellbeing of our older residents, including activities that are available digitally and online.
The 'Every Step Counts' walking group has kindly turned their regular weekly walks into ‘Silver Walks’ to celebrate our seniors starting Monday 5 October.
There are seven walks to choose from throughout Sevenoaks District, all led by dedicated and qualified volunteers who will keep you safe and encourage you all the way:
- Tuesday 6 October - 11.30am, Chiddingstone from The Castle Inn TN8 7AH
- Wednesday 7 October -10am, Otford from the High Street Car Park by the Recreation Ground gate TN14 5PQ
- Wednesday 7 October - 10.30am, West Kingsdown at the West Kingsdown Pavilion off London Road TN15 6BZ
- Thursday 8 October - 10am, Swanley at Swanley Park, meet opposite the cafe BR8 7PW
- Thursday 8 October - 10am, Chipstead, opposite The Bricklayers Arms Chevening Road TN13 2RZ
- Thursday 8 October - 2pm, Greatness Recreation Grounds, meet at the car park Mill Lane TN14 5AG
- Friday 9 October - 10am, Kemsing, meet in Kemsing Village Hall Car Park TN15 6NB
To attend, email email@example.com or phone or text 07899 985196. Otherwise just get there a few minutes early to check in.
Remember to bring clothes suitable for the weather.
Stay active at home
Sevenoaks District Council, Age UK Sevenoaks and Tonbridge and Kent Sport have produced a series of gentle exercise videos with Sue Larken, otherwise known as ‘Pop-Up Sue’. The videos are aimed at older people with limited mobility to stay active whilst at home.
There are three videos for different abilities, a chair based programme a standing workout and exercises set to music.
Silver Sunday celebratory packs
We are producing a special ‘Silver Sunday’ celebratory pack for older people, containing an activity book (crosswords, quizzes or Sudoku), a card made by children from local primary schools, a booklet with help and guidance in keeping active with exercise and tips, as well as some free gadgets to help keep you safe.
These packs are free of charge but we only have a limited number available. A maximum of two packs can be requested per household.
Request a pack by calling us on 01732 227000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, providing you name and postal address.