Christmas clinical waste collections 2021
If we collect your clinical waste, including sharps boxes, there may be changes to your usual collection days:
- Collections scheduled for Friday 24 and Saturday 25 December will take place on Friday 24 December
- Collections scheduled for Friday 31 December and Saturday 1 January will take place on Friday 31 December.
Please put your clinical waste out by 6am on both Fridays.
Domestic clinical waste collections
Clinical, or medical waste, should not be placed in your black or recycling sacks - it requires a special collection, which we provide free of charge.
To arrange collection
Please ask your doctor or district nurse to inform us in writing that you require clinical waste collections and telling us what type of waste needs to be collected, either by email to email@example.com or by fax on 01959 563011.
Once your doctor has registered your clinical waste collection needs with us, the next steps are:
For clinical waste excluding sharps boxes:
- Once registered, you must contact us on 01732 227000.
- We will take you through the details of the collection process.
- We will deliver a free supply of special clinical waste sacks for you to use.
- Contact us by midday on a Thursday for your sacks to be collected the same week (usually on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning). If you contact us after this time, your sacks will be added to the following week's collection.
For sharps boxes:
Your doctor will normally issue you a prescription for a sharps box for used needles and you can collect the box from your pharmacy. We do not supply new sharps boxes.
When your sharps box is full, contact us by midday on a Thursday for your box to be collected the same week (usually on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning). If you contact us after this time, your sharps box will be added to the following week's collection.
We cannot collect clinical waste from you if you have not taken the steps outlined above.
If a healthcare professional is administering your medication, they should dispose of the needles for you.
Disposing of non-medical needles
To dispose of non-medical needles, please contact CRI (Crime Reduction Initiatives).
Commercial medical waste
The Environment Agency can supply a list of companies that can collect from commercial premises.
We do not collect on a commercial basis from nursing homes, clinics, doctors' surgeries or dentists.