Silver Sunday takes place on 1 October 2023 and in celebration of this amazing event, we’re promoting three months of free or low-cost activities for older people.
Silver Sunday is where people of all generations can come together by taking part in new, fun activities, meeting new people, visiting new places and connecting with their local communities.
Free activities and events in the Sevenoaks District
Channel your inner dancer, learn a new routine and tuck in to tea and cake at our tea dances in Edenbridge, Sevenoaks and Swanley.
Silver Bells Christmas Party
Get in the festive spirit at our free Christmas party!
They’ll be music, games, prizes, a delicious Christmas lunch and a guest appearance from Santa!
Seniors’ information and dance mornings
Come along to find out what’s on in your local area plus have a FREE taster session of FitSteps, a dance step session inspired by Strictly Come Dancing.
You can also get help and advice from local charities and organisations, the Council and Kent Police.
Refreshments will be served.
Our seniors’ information mornings take place on the following dates and times:
- Wednesday 8 November, Westerham Hall, Quebec Avenue, Westerham TN16 1BJ - 10am to 12 noon - FitSteps session 10.30am to 11.15am
- Monday 13 November, The Eden Centre, Four Elms Road, Edenbridge TN8 6BY - 10am to 12 noon - FitSteps session 10.30am to 11.15am
If you would like to take part in the FitSteps sessions, please book via our online form. We ask all participants to wear comfortable clothing and footwear.
If you wish to come along without taking part in the dance session, you can just turn up without booking.
Disabled access is available at all venues.
One-day leisure pass
Residents aged 55 plus can claim a free one-day pass for White Oak Leisure Centre in Swanley, Edenbridge Leisure Centre and Sevenoaks Leisure Centre on 5 November and 3 December.
The pass gives access to all facilities except the toning suite at White Oak Leisure Centre, which is closed on Sundays.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details, terms and conditions and to request your pass.
Tai Chi and Qigong
Get a free Tai Chi and Qigong taster session with James Drew of Taiji.
Classes start from Thursday 14 September and you can redeem your free session by December 2023.
Classes run at the following locations and times:
- St Luke’s Church Hall, Sevenoaks: Thursdays 2.45pm to 3.40pm
- Vine Baptist Church, Sevenoaks: Thursdays 7.35pm to 8.30pm
- Vine Baptist Church, Sevenoaks: Thursdays 8.35pm to 9.30pm
- New Ash Green Village Hall: Fridays 10am to 10.55am
- St. Luke’s Church Hall, Sevenoaks: Fridays 12.05pm to 1pm
To book your free session, please call James on 07836 710281 and bring your Silver Sunday programme with you.
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and flat shoes.
Sevenoaks Visual Art Forum Art Classes
Visit the Kaleidoscope at Sevenoaks Library for ‘Print and Paper’, a free printing class. They take place between 10.30am and 12.30pm on 10 November and 8 December.
This class is suitable for all abilities. Come for one workshop or all three. Materials are provided.
Knole House volunteer coffee morning
Find out more about volunteering opportunities at Knole House. Come along to a coffee morning on Thursday 23 November at 10.30am to speak with the current volunteers. They will talk about the different roles available and what volunteering means in practice.
Gardening at the Eden Centre
The Eden Centre is looking for green fingered residents to help restore their sensory garden to its former glory. The lovely garden has become overgrown since the pandemic and is ripe for restoration.
They are looking for a group of volunteers who could attend once a week (Monday to Friday between 10am and 3pm), to weed and dig up the garden, ready for planting next spring.
Please call 03000 414010 for more information.
A fun filled, free, 40 minute dance aerobics class based to music from the 50s all the way to the 2020s!
Each class has a different ability level.
- Swanley - Every Monday 12.30pm – Hybrid class, seating and standing options depending on ability - Clock Tower Pavilion/Alexandria Suite St Mary's Rd, Swanley BR8 7BU
- New Ash Green - Every Monday 2pm – Seated class - Village Hall, Centre Road, New Ash Green, DA3 8HH
- Riverhead – Every Monday 3.30pm - Hybrid class, seating and standing options depending on ability - Village Hall, Amherst Hill, Sevenoaks TN13 2EL
Come along and play your favourite games while making friends and having a cuppa!
This friendly group meets every Monday from 10am to 12 noon in Rickards Hall, Edenbridge and play different games such as, cards, Chess or Connect4. Refreshments are provided and free soup is available.
For further details, call Edenbridge Town Council on 01732 865368.
Eden Centre events
The Eden Centre in Edenbridge holds lots of weekly events including exercise classes, quilting, yoga and more! Find out all the dates and times.
Bridges Café in Edenbridge serves delicious coffee and cakes as well as holding fun, social events. Find out what’s going on.
Join our free weekly Every Step Counts walks or fortnightly Steps to Wellbeing walks across the District.
Friendly cafes for people living with memory issues and their carers.
Tea parties with Re-engage
Free tea parties for over 75s! You can either register yourself via www.reengage.org.uk or ask Age UK to refer you by calling 0800 16543.
Digital Kent Workshops
Digital Kent aims to help the internet be accessible to all. Come along to a workshop at Sevenoaks District Council in October, November and December.
For dates and to book on please email email@example.com.
The Chitter Chatter scheme invites you to sit down in a friendly environment and talk to others who about anything you like!
Other low-cost activities
Discounted Tee Times
Residents aged 55 plus can claim 25% discount on tee times at Lullingstone Park Golf Course.
This discount is valid Monday to Friday through September to December for residents with valid ID and a Silver Sunday programme.
Discounted Tee Times must to booked in advance by calling Lullingstone Park Golf Course on 01959 583019 or visiting the course in person at Parkgate Road, Chelsfield, Kent BR6 7PX.
‘Pop Up Sue’ gentle exercise sessions
Increase mobility, strength and balance through gentle exercise with Sue Larken from Age UK.
Meet new people, get useful health tips and learn to keep yourself strong and mobile at one of our friendly venues.
- Causeway Hall, Chiddingstone Causeway (TN11 8JS), alternate Mondays 10.45am to 12.15pm
- Cowden Village Hall (TN8 7HU), alternate Thursdays 10am to 12pm
- Eden Centre, Edenbridge (TN8 6BY), alternate Thursdays 10.30am to 12 noon
- Bridges Café , Edenbridge (TN8 5AJ), last Friday of the month 2pm to 3pm
- Dunton Green Pavilion (TN13 2UR), second Wednesday of the month 1.30pm to 3pm
- The Howard Venue, 39 Egerton Avenue, Swanley (BR8 7LG), first and third Wednesday of the month 1.30pm to 3pm
- All Souls Church Hall, 81 Eynsford Road, Crockenhill, Swanley (BR8 8JS), alternate Tuesdays, 10.30am to 12 noon.
Classes cost £3.50 to £4 depending on the location and include a cup of tea or coffee.
For more information and prices, contact Sue on 07867648667 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the U3a!
u3a is a UK-wide movement of locally-run groups that provide opportunities for people in their ‘third age’ – those no longer in full time employment.
Getting to and from events
If you need help getting to and from any Silver Sunday activity, contact Dial-a-Ride on 01892 832447.
Charges apply for this service.