Voter ID at elections | Sevenoaks District Council

Voter ID at elections

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station. 

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. Only original documents can be accepted at the polling station; scanned images or copies cannot be accepted.

If your photo ID has expired it will be accepted as long as the photograph is still a good likeness to you.

You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue Badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

If you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not confident your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document known as a Voter Authority Certificate.


If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to the Electoral Commission website, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

Postal and proxy voters

Postal voters are not affected by the introduction of photo ID and will be issued with their postal ballot papers as usual.

More information on postal voting

If you choose to vote by proxy then the person who you have trusted to vote on your behalf will have to take their own identification to the polling station to be issued with a ballot paper.

Information on proxy voting (someone voting on your behalf)