Finding yourself at risk of being made homeless or having nowhere to live can be frightening and stressful. We want to help you by preventing homelessness from happen wherever possible. You do not need to wait until you have nowhere to stay. The earlier you contact us, the more we can do to help you.
You can ask us for help and advice if you are homeless now or facing homelessness within the next eight weeks (56 days) if:
- You've received a notice from your landlord or agent
- You’ve received a letter advising of possession proceedings from your mortgage provider
- You've been told to leave your home
- You no longer have a legal right to occupy your home
- You've been prevented from gaining access to your home
- You're at risk of violence or abuse if you were to remain or return to your home.
What we will do
We will carry out some checks to see if you are eligible for assistance and, if you are eligible, how we can help you.
We will contact you within five working days to:
- Gather any required documents
- Offer you an assessment of your housing situation
- Work out what your needs are
- Give you advice on the next steps.
We will help you by developing a personalised housing and wellbeing plan (PHP). This will set out the steps we will take to help you. The plan may include steps that we consider you should take.
The assessment and PHP will be kept under review and you will be notified of any amendments through the Kent Homechoice website.
The first option we will explore is how we can help you to remain in your current home if possible. If it is not possible, we will help you to secure alternative accommodation that you can move into in a planned and secure way.
If staying in your current home is not an option, please be aware that rents in the Sevenoaks District are high and broadening your search will give you more choice of available and affordable homes.
We operate a relocation scheme to other parts of the UK and will be happy to discuss this option with you.
We can end our duty to help if you refuse to cooperate with us.
What you need to do
You will need to make a homelessness application.
The application form usually takes between 30 to 40 minutes to complete.
Please have photographs or scans of the following documents to hand as you will be asked to upload them as part of your application:
- Identity and immigration status (passport or ID card) for all members of your household
- The reason you have to leave your home (eviction notice and tenancy agreement)
- Medical conditions (any letters from your GP, hospital or midwife)
- Proof of income (bank statements, wage slips and proof of benefits)
Once your application has been received and reviewed, you will be offered a full housing assessment or we will advise you of your next steps.
Our contact details
If you are homeless today and have nowhere safe to stay, please contact us during our office hours (Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5pm, Friday 8.45am to 4.45pm)
Telephone: 01732 227000
If you are homeless and our offices are closed, please call the number above for out-of-hours emergency support.
If you are rough sleeping or need housing advice, regular homelessness advice drop in services take place in Sevenoaks and Swanley.