Health walks are a free group activity for people who want to do more exercise. They take up to an hour and are between one and two miles long.
Walking is an affordable, enjoyable and easy exercise that more can do regardless of age, fitness or lifestyle.
For every minute you walk, between one-and-a-half and two minutes is added to your life. It builds strong bones, toned muscles and can help to control weight, relieve stress and anxiety whilst reducing the risk of a wide range of illnesses. Walking can also be great fun and an excellent way to make new friends.
Each health walk is led by at least two trained health walk leaders who have completed a Walking for Health training course, and they encourage the group to walk at their own pace.
There are currently eight weekly Health Walks in the Sevenoaks District in:
- Otford Mondays, Otford Memorial Hall at 10.30am
- Lullingstone Park Mondays, Visitors Centre at 2pm
- Hartley Tuesdays, The Library at 10am
- Swanley Tuesdays, Café at White Oak Leisure Centre at 2pm
- New Ash Green Wednesdays, New Ash Green Library at 10.30am
- West Kingsdown Wednesdays, Pavilion Library Car Park at 10.15am
- Edenbridge Wednesdays, Edenbridge Leisure Centre at 9.30am (finish at Bridges Café on the High Street)
- Sevenoaks Thursdays, Café at Sevenoaks Leisure Centre at 10.30am
You do not need to book ahead to come on a Health Walk. If you would like to join, just come along to the starting point about 10 to 15 minutes before the start of the walk and complete a basic registration form.
We recommend that you dress for the weather and wear comfortable footwear.
For more information, call us on 01732 227000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Walk Leader Training
We are always looking for new Volunteer Health Walk Leaders to help lead our walks. Whether you want to give back to your community or you want to help others to be more active and healthy, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
Our next Health Walk Leader Training will take place on Wednesday 22nd of July, West Kingsdown Village Hall. (9.30am to 4pm).
Places for the course are limited and must be booked in advance. The course will include tea, coffee and a free lunch. To book a place, call the Council on 01732 227000 or e-mail email@example.com