Taxis are vital for people with disabilities to get about. However, taxi drivers may not charge extra for wheelchair users or for assistance dogs and can only refuse to carry either on medical grounds.
Taxis and wheelchair users
Taxis divers have a legal duty to:
- Transport the passenger while in the wheelchair
- Not make any additional charge for doing so
- Allow the passenger to sit in a passenger seat, should they choose to, and to transport the wheelchair
- Take necessary steps to ensure the passenger is transported in safety and in reasonable comfort
- Give the passenger assistance as is reasonably required, including:
The only grounds for exemption are medical, or that a physical condition makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for a driver to comply with these duties.
Applications for exemptions must be made to us and drivers must carry their exemption certificate with them.
Wheelchair accessible taxis
We are aware of the following licensed taxi companies and drivers that provide accessible vehicles in the Sevenoaks District:
- Go Coach Hire Ltd - 01732 463964
- Graham Powell - 07710 378396
- Rahmatullah Noor - 07914 262789
- Stephen Jones - 07881 955414
- Mr C Saunders - 07734 699413
- Westerham Cars - 01959 562091
Assistance dogs and taxis
It’s against the law for any taxi driver to refuse or charge extra for an assistance dog, such as guide dog or a hearing dog.
A taxi driver can only refuse to carry an assistance dog if they have a medical condition that is aggravated by exposure to dogs and they have an exemption from us. If this is the case, the driver would have to display their exemption badge.
If you have been refused a taxi ride or charged extra because you are a wheelchair user or you have an assistance dog, please contact us so we can investigate your complaint.
Please provide the name and telephone number of the taxi company, when the booking was made, the beginning and the end of the journey, the taxi plate number (fixed to the back of taxi), a description of the driver and a summary of the conversation.