Damp and mould | Sevenoaks District Council

Damp and mould

Damp and mould can be caused by many things. Condensation damp is the most common type of damp. Unlike other types of damp that are the result of issues with the building, condensation damp is caused by day-to-day living.

See how to reduce condensation in your home.

Reporting damp and mould

Condensation is not the only cause of damp and mould. It's not always easy to work out if your landlord is responsible for resolving problems with damp. This is because it can be difficult to find the exact cause of damp without the help of a surveyor, unless it is obvious, such as a leaking roof.

If you rent you home from a housing association, you should report any issues directly to them. It is helpful to look at your tenancy agreement or tenant’s handbook to understand who is responsible for carrying out certain repairs.

If you are renting privately and your home is damp, you should contact your landlord. However, your landlord might not be responsible - it depends on what type of damp it is and what caused it. You should check your tenancy agreement to find out if your landlord is responsible for repairs.

Your landlord must fix damp and mould if it is caused by a problem with the structure of your home or a faulty installation. You will need to give your landlord access to your home, agreeing a suitable date and time to visit.