To ensure our local taxis drivers provide a safe and efficient service to their customer and have a good knowledge of the District, they have to learn and pass our local Knowledge Test.
The test applies to new Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers and to Private Hire drivers who wish to change to a Hackney Carriage licence. You have to pass the test before you can submit your licence application.
The test costs £46 and takes about 90 minutes. You should get your results within five working days.
Although the test result is final, and you cannot appeal the decision, there is no limit on the number tests you can take, but you have to pay for each one.
If you have a disability that would exclude you from taking the test, please contact us.
To help you prepare for the test, please read through the following sections, Make sure you click on the 'Next page' link at the bottom of each page to see all the information.
About the test
This is a multiple-choice test and you will be required to show a good level of local knowledge. This includes identifying the location of key buildings or premises, such as pubs, bars, schools, train stations, golf clubs, village halls, supermarkets and business parks in the District.
To pass, you must achieve the following score in each category:
- Private Hire policy and law - 80%
- Sevenoaks Hackney Carriage policy and law - 80%
- Sevenoaks District routes - 80%
- Sevenoaks District streets - 80%
- Sevenoaks District places - 80%
- Compulsory questions - 100%
- Highway Code - 80%
- Road signs and markings - 80%
- Generic policy and law - 80%
- Safeguarding - 100%
- Numeracy - 80%
You are expected to carry out your own research and you should be familiar with our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy.
We suggest you obtain a good working knowledge of the District before attempting the test and we recommend the following:
- Spending time in the District and studying maps
- Using the internet and/or the telephone directory to research the names of the roads on which local landmarks or bars, restaurants, schools etc. are situated
- Re-familiarising yourself with the Highway Code