Welfare Reform and Universal Credit | Sevenoaks District Council

Welfare Reform and Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) has been introduced by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to replace a range of benefits for people of working age who are on a low income. UC is administered solely by the DWP. It is gradually being introduced in stages and will eventually replace the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit has been rolled out to all new claimants in the Sevenoaks District: This means you will need to make a claim for your housing costs through Universal Credit, unless you:

  • Have reached State Pension age and your partner (if you have one) has also reached State Pension age
  • Live in supported accommodation
  • Are in temporary accommodation placed by our Housing Advice Team.

If you do fall into one of these categories, please complete our online housing benefit claim form.

If you don't fall into one of these categories you will need to make a claim for housing costs through Universal Credit.

For more information on eligibility and how to claim please check the Universal Credit guidance on GOV.UK.

Benefit Cap

In 2013, the Government introduced a benefit cap setting a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. From 7 November 2016, the cap amount and the benefits that are affected by the cap changed.  For more information please check the benefits cap guidance on GOV.UK.  If you think you will be affected, the benefit cap calculator can give you an estimate of how much your benefit might be capped.