If you rent from a private landlord you can ask us to pay your Housing Benefit directly to your landlord but only if:
- you are having difficulty managing your financial affairs
- you are 8 weeks or more behind with your rent
- you are having arrears of rent paid to your landlord from certain social security benefits
- you are unlikely to pay your rent
- direct payments will help you secure or renew a tenancy.
We may ask you to provide reasons or evidence for us to explain why we should pay your landlord.