Abandoned vehicles | Sevenoaks District Council

Abandoned vehicles

We have the powers to deal with abandoned vehicles on the public highway or on our land. We may also be able to help landowners, such as housing associations, to remove vehicles from their land, including parking areas.

To report an abandoned car, please call us. The following details will be required:

  • Make and model of vehicle
  • Registration
  • Location
  • Condition
  • How long the vehicle has been in the location

It will be necessary to provide your own details such as name and address and contact phone number.

Before we take any action, we have to carry out some checks with the DVLA and the Police. If we think it may have been abandoned, a notice will be fixed to the vehicle informing the keeper that the vehicle may be removed and possibly destroyed. However, if the keeper comes forward and claims the vehicle, it cannot be removed.

If it's in a dangerous condition, it can be moved 24 hours after the notice has been fixed. Under normal circumstances it usually takes seven days but sometimes it can be up to 15 days.

Please note that it may not be possible for us to remove vehicles declared SORN on private land even at the landowner’s request. Untaxed vehicles parked on the highway or being driven should be reported to the DVLA.

Check if a vehicle is taxed, declared SORN or report an untaxed vehicle online - GOV.UK

Vehicles on private land 

Vehicles on private land, including National Trust, Woodland Trust, Moat or West Kent Housing Association parking areas, should be reported to the landowner.