Information on registering and running a food business is available from the Food Standards Agency.
You should also:
- Check you have the correct planning permission
- Check if any licences are required for example businesses supplying alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment.
Register your business
- When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register at least 28 days before opening. This also applies to mobile food businesses.
- Certain types of food premises, generally business that sell animal products for human consumption to other businesses, may need to apply for food business approval instead
The Food Standards Agency provides more information on who needs to register.
We will inspect your premises, usually without making an appointment. We usually publish your hygiene rating on the national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme website.
Safer Food, Better Business
'Safer Food, Better Business' is a food safety management system suited to small caterers and retailers.
The system is available from the Food Standards Agency or they can be purchased from us by calling 01732 227000 and making a card payment.
- Caterers’ packs cost £13 plus £2 for postage and packing
- Retailers’ packs cost £12 plus £2 for postage and packing.
- Additional diary sheet (for 12 months) cost £12 plus £2 for postage and packing.