If you plan to carry out any stage of the production, processing, distribution or sale of food, whether for profit or not, you are classed as a food business.
Before starting you must:
- Check that you have the appropriate planning permission.
- Check whether any licences are required eg businesses supplying alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment
- Register your food business at least 28 days before opening. Certain types of food premises, generally manufacturers using products of animal origin, are subject to specific regulations and need to be approved instead of registered.
- Have adequate food safety supervision, instruction and/or training in place.
- Have a written food safety management system in place based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles.
- Comply with Food Safety Regulations
- Comply with Health and Safety Legislation