Ide Hill Conservation Area covers some 6.8 hectares and contains 7 listed buildings including the K6 telephone kiosk. The area was designated in 1974 and has not been reappraised since then.
The village lies four miles south-west of Sevenoaks at one of the highest points on the greensand ridge. The hill top location provides views of the surrounding landscape which contributes significantly to the character of the village. To the north lies the Holmesdale Valley beyond which are the North Downs. Due to its unspoilt nature, the surroundings have been designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Ide Hill also lies wholly within the Green Belt.
The conservation area includes the main road through the village with the green lying between the road and the parish church. The area is mainly residential surrounded by agricultural land and areas which are either owned or managed by the National Trust. It includes many examples of Kentish building styles dating from the 16th Century to the late 20th Century. Nearly all of the houses in the centre of the village were built post 1700; the majority dating from the 19th Century. To the north east, there is a modern housing estate outside the conservation area.
Old School House (possibly associated with Atherfolds Farm) dates from the18th Century and was the local school until the present school was built in 1852.