Self and Custom Build Register | Sevenoaks District Council
Licensing payment problems

We're currently experiencing intermittent problems with some Licensing payments via our website. We're working to fix the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience

Self and Custom Build Register

Sevenoaks District Council is committed to supporting access to both affordable and market housing for local people. This includes supporting people wishing to build their own homes.

About the register

We have set up a register for people who are interested in the self-build or custom-build houses in Sevenoaks District, in line with our legal duties. The register forms part of our evidence base and helps us understand the level of demand for self-build and custom-build houses. This helps us prepare and implement planning policies.

Signing the register does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified and become available. After you sign the register, you will still need planning permission for self-build and custom-build projects. The projects will be assessed on their individual merits in line with national and local planning policy. If you would like to register your details (as an individual or group) for a self-build or custom-build plot, you must:

  • be aged 18 or over
  • be a British, European Economic Area or Swiss citizen
  • show that the property will be your main residence. 

What are self-build homes?

A self-build home allows the future residents to organise the home's design and construction. This could involve independently employing an architect and builder.

What are custom-build homes?

Custom-build homes are generally those where an individual or group of individuals works with a specialist developer to help deliver homes. The developer may identify a plot of land, manage construction and provide financial assistance.

What is community-led housing or group building?

You work with others to acquire a site to split up into plots, then organise the design and construction of your own home. This will usually be supported by an enabler such as a specialist developer or housing association. Cohousing and Community Land Trusts are examples of community-led housing.

How to register

To join the register you can complete the registration form by clicking the link below.

Register online

Please note: under the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), by signing this register, you agree for the Planning Policy Team to hold your details on the register, and to be contacted as and when needed. You can still withdraw your consent at any time by contacting the Planning Policy Team requesting to be removed from the self and custom build register.

Further Support

The Government has created a dedicated service and online resource for those who are interested in a self or custom build project:

The Self Build Portal.

National Custom & Self Build Association