Councillor complaints | Standards and conduct arrangements for councillors | Sevenoaks District Council

Standards and conduct arrangements for councillors

Councillor complaints

Councillors are required to promote and maintain high standards of conduct. The Council has adopted its own Councillor Code of Conduct and all councillors (including co-opted councillors) must comply with this code.

Town and parish councils will have their own adopted Code of Conduct.  Contact the town our parish council directly to find out the code they have adopted.

Making a complaint

If you believe that a Sevenoaks District, Parish or Town Councillor has breached the code of conduct it is recommended that you first contact the Monitoring Officer using the details below to discuss your concerns.  

If you make a complaint it must be about why you think a councillor has not followed the relevant code of conduct.

Complaint form

If you wish to make a complaint about something else not related to councillor conduct, please see the Council's complaints page.

What happens next?

If your complaint passes the Initial Intake Test set out in the Council’s constitution, it will be assessed by the Monitoring Officer along with an Independent Person. If it is found that your complaint requires action, the Monitoring Officer will usually try to achieve an informal resolution. 

In limited circumstances, the matter may be referred to a Standards Complaints Sub-Committee set up by the Council to hear complaints against Councillors.

If you would like the opportunity to discuss any concerns or for advice, please contact the Monitoring Officer.