Effective operation of the planning system depends on the ability to enforce against development carried out without planning permission and planning legislation gives District Councils powers to take action where necessary against development that does not have permission.
The Council has adopted a Local Enforcement Plan which sets out our approach to enforcement. It is based on the following principles:
- We will investigate all complaints received about breaches of planning control and aim to visit the site concerned within three working days.
- We will give priority to the most serious complaints based on the degree of harm caused by the development subject of the complaint.
- We will use our statutory powers to remove harmful development.
- We will explore solutions to remove harm caused by unauthorised development.
- We will keep complainants and those who are the subject of complaints informed throughout our investigations.
- We will keep the identity of complainants confidential.
For more information or to report a development that may not have permission, contact our Enforcement Team:
Complete our planning breach form
Call 01732 227000, option 3