If you run a sex establishment you need apply for a licence. A sex establishment is:
- A sex shop - any premises selling sex toys, books or DVDs as a major part of their stock
- A sex cinema – any cinema used for a significant amount of its business to show explicit films to the public
The licensing of sex establishments is regulated under schedule three of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982
Please ensure that you have read the requirements of our sexual establishment licensing policy before you apply.
- Making an application
To be eligible to apply for a licence you:
- Need to be 18 years old
- Must not have been disqualified from holding a licence
- Must have been resident in the UK for at least six months immediately before the application
- Need to be incorporated in the UK if applying as a corporate body
- Must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months
To apply you will need to:
- Pay a fee of £3,762
- Include an area street plan
- Include an internal layout plan of the premises
- Include notice of intent to run a sex shop/establishment
Once you have made an application you need to advertise your intentions in the local newspaper within seven days of your application being received by us.
It will take 90 days for your application to be processed. When consent is granted, you must keep your licence on you whenever you are trading.
You need to renew your licence every year and pay the same fee as a new application.
Transfer your licence
To transfer your licence to a new licence-holder who will run the business in future you must let us know. There will be a fee of £1,886.
- Keep us updated
You must tell us if your details change such as your name, address or if there are changes to your trading hours.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
P.O. Box 182
Call: 01732 227004