Conservation areas - Sundridge | Sevenoaks District Council

Conservation areas - Sundridge

Sundridge Conservation Area covers some 10ha and contains about 18 listed buildings. It was designated in 1973 and has not been extended since then. It includes the area around the crossroads between Chevening Road and the A25 and the majority of Church Road between the A25 and the crown of the hill.

The countryside around is designated as Green Belt and lies within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Special Landscape Area.

The village extends along the A25, although the church is found to the south set away from the majority of the development. There is a small green, known as Coronation Garden, at the junction of the A25 and Chevening Road which leads down to the river Darent.

Sundridge contains a variety of development of varying ages. Many of the buildings are historic,but none constructed earlier than about 1450 and there has been little recent development within the confines of the Conservation Area. Probably the oldest building is Old Hall which dates from 1458, with Wellers Farm and its probable contemporary Dryhill Farm and cottages dating
from 1465. However all these properties lie outside the Conservation Area.

In the village, but outside the Conservation Area, there is a general store, doctor’s surgery, social club, and a village hall. There is a recent large office park development on the outskirts of the village to the east. In the village, but outside the Conservation Area, there is a general store, doctor’s surgery, social club, and a village hall. There is a recent large office park development on the outskirts of the village to the east.

There is an art gallery, furniture shop and other commercial development in the area around the crossroads. In 1987 the primary school merged with that of neighbouring Brasted and is situated near the church. There is now only one public house in the village; the White Horse at the crossroads. The former Lamb Public House, which has been converted to office use, is
situated on the eastern boundary of the Conservation Area.

Despite the volume of traffic, both stationary and parked, along the Main Road, Sundridge is a pretty village with many interesting buildings and there are plenty of opportunities to escape from the business of the main road into quieter backwaters.

Download the area appraisal and map

Back to top