Latest planning news
The Allocations and Development Management Plan
The hearings of the Allocations and Development Management Plan (ADMP) examination closed in March 2014. The Inspector that considered the plan at examination has written to the Council setting out the ‘main modifications’ that he thinks need to be made to the plan to make it sound.
The Council published the ‘ main modifications ’ for consultation on 21 August 2014 and is inviting comments on them until 5pm on 2 October 2014.
The ADMP contains proposals for the development of key sites and detailed development management policies, which will be used to determine planning applications (in combination with Core Strategy policies that have already been adopted).
Gypsy and Traveller Site Options Consultation
The first stage of consultation on our Gypsy and Traveller Plan closed in July 2014. It sought views on potential site options across the District and asked landowners to suggest sites for additional pitches. The Council is now considering the responses to the consultation and intends to publish further consultation documents later in the year.
Planning Policy consultations
Statement of Community Involvement
We consulted on a revised Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) between 23 May and 4 July 2014. This document sets out how we will engage with the public and stakeholders when preparing new planning documents and determining planning applications. We are now considering responses to the consultation document and intend to adopt the new SCI later in the yeaPlanning policy consultation
Allocations and Development Management Plan
The Allocations and Development Management Plan (ADMP) was submitted for examination on 27 November 2013. The ADMP contains proposals for the development of key sites and detailed development management policies, which will be used to determine planning applications (in combination with Core Strategy Policies that have already been adopted). Further details on the examination can be found on our Allocations and Development Management Plan page.
Validation Checklists have been reviewed
We have reviewed our Validation Checklists in line with the principles and criteria laid down in guidance and legislation issued by Communities and Local Government. Please refer to the relevant Checklist prior to submitting an application to ensure that all required documentation is included.
Legislative changes 25 June 2013
The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) (Amendment) Order 2013 has now been issued by the Government. This changes the information required in regard to reserved matters applications and also the type of applications where a Design and Access Statement is required as detailed in our Summary of New Legislation.
Further information on design and access statements
This Order comes into effect on any applications received on or after 25 June 2013.
New Permitted Development Rights
The Government has published a new amendment to the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO), which will come into force on 30 May 2013.
The changes to the GDPO include permitted development rights to allow changes of use from B1a (offices) to C3 (dwellings), subject to a prior approval process set out in the legislation. We previously made a submission for exemption for eleven sites in the District to be exempt from these new rights. Of these, the following three have been made exempt by the Government because their loss would have substantial adverse economic consequences at the local authority level which are not offset by the positive benefits the new rights would bring:
Former BT Building, Sevenoaks
Land at London Road, Sevenoaks
The Crown, London Road, Westerham
Introduction to New Planning Legislation
The Government has published a number of new amendments to the General Permitted Development Order (GPDO), which came into force on 30 May 2013.
The change to the GDPO introduces the following, without the need for planning permission:
- Larger rear extensions to dwelling houses.
- Change of use of a building and its curtilage currently falling within offices (B1) to dwelling houses (C3).
- Change of use of any building and any land within its curtilage from offices (B1), hotels (C1), residential and secure residential institutions (C2 and C2a) and leisure and assembly buildings (D2) to a state-funded school.
- Change of use of a building and any land within its curtilage from use as a agricultural building to a flexible use including shops (A1), financial and professional services (A2), restaurants and cafes (A3), business (B1), storage or distribution (B8), hotels (C1) or assembly and leisure (D2);
- The use of a building and any land within its curtilage as a state-funded school for a single academic year;
- The change of use of a building and any land within its curtilage to a flexible use as a shop (A1), financial and professional service (A2), restaurant or café (A3) from a use as a shop (A1), financial and professional service (A2), restaurant or café (A3), drinking establishment (A4), hot food takeaway (A5), business (B1), non-residential institution (D1) or assembly and leisure (D2) for a period of 2 years.
Please note - These changes are subject to a number of criteria laid out in the above Order.
In order to benefit from the above changes applicants must submit an application for prior approval.
Please click on the application forms below:
- Householder Prior Notification application form for applicants
- Householder Prior Notification for owners or occupiers of adjoining premises response form
- Prior Notification for a Change in Use application form for applicants
E-mail your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or post your application to The Planning Department, Sevenoaks District Council, Council Offices, Argyle Road, Sevenoaks Kent TN13 1HG. Please ensure your application includes a plan indicating the site and showing the proposed development.
Please note that applications for prior approval for a change of use are subject to a fee of £80.00 from 1 October 2013. Payment can be made by credit/debit card over the telephone on 01732 227000 or by cheque to the above address, made payable to Sevenoaks District Council. Alternatively please provide a contact telephone number and we will contact you.
Please click on the guidance notes below for further advice:
- Householder Prior Notification Notes for applicants
- Householder Prior Notification Notes for owners or occupiers of adjoining premises
- Prior Notification for a Change in Use Notes for applicants
Other planning news
- The Annual Monitoring Report for 2012, which assesses the progress of our planning services over the previous financial year, has been published
- On 6 September 2012, the Government set out a package of proposed planning and housing reforms, with the aim of helping the economy to grow by speeding up the planning process and promoting more housing development including affordable housing. Follow the link to view the Secretary of State’s written statement titled Housing and Growth.
- The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) was published on 27 March 2012 and sets out the Government's planning policies for England
- People who are considering buying plots of land in the Green Belt for housing are being warned that such sites are very unlikely to be granted planning permission