Apply for a student discount on your Council Tax | Sevenoaks District Council
Planning search

We're sorry our ‘Planning applications’ search (at the top of this page) is unavailable. To view an application, please click on the button below.

Search for a planning application

Apply for a student discount on your Council Tax

You can claim a discount or exemption if:

  • You are 18 or over and at college, university or similar and your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year and involves at least 21 hours of study a week
  • You are 18 or 19 and on a non-advanced course like A-levels that lasts at least three months and involves at least 12 hours of study a week
  • Your college is in the UK or European Union (you can be studying via distance learning as long as you meet the other student criteria

Please note:

  • If everyone at your address aged 18 or over is a full-time student no-one is counted for Council Tax and you will have nothing to pay
  • If one household member is not a student the bill will be reduced by 25% and they will be responsible for paying the bill
  • There will be no reduction if there are two or more non-students in the household and the non-students are responsible for paying the bill
  • If you are a foreign student with a partner or dependant who is not a British citizen and is not allowed to work or claim benefits you will not have to pay Council Tax but will need to send us a copy of your partner’s passport when you claim the student reduction or exemption

Apply for a student discount or exemption

School leavers, apprentices and youth trainees

For more information or to apply for a Council Tax discount for a school leaver or a youth trainee please contact us.


Back to top