The Council is in the process of preparing a new Local Plan for the District, which will cover the period 2015-35.
The new Local Plan will be clear that the Green Belt will continue to be protected.
In order to do so, new housing will need to be accommodated, at higher densities, within existing settlement boundaries (or under the existing rural exceptions sites policy) other than in the following cases:
- Where the development will result in the sustainable re-use of brownfield land in the Green Belt
- Where a convincing 'exceptional circumstances' case can be made in accordance with national policy
The new Local Plan will provide the overarching principles that will shape the development of the District up to 2035. The policies within the Plan will promote sustainable development that will meet the needs of current and future generations. The evidence base will provide local information and data which will assist in the production of a robust and up-to-date Plan.
If you would like to be kept informed about progress on the Local Plan including future consultations, please register on the mailing list.
The proposed timetable for the production of the Plan (as set out in the Local Development Scheme) is:
- Issues and Options consultation – late Spring / Summer 2017
- Draft Local Plan consultation – Spring 2018
- Pre-submission Publication – Summer 2018
- Submission – Autumn 2018
- Adoption – Summer 2019
The Planning Policy team is currently working to produce an evidence base to support the new Local Plan. The following documents will inform the production of the Local Plan:
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA September 2015)
- Sevenoaks District Tourist Accommodation Study (September 2015)
- Strategic Housing Land / Economic Land Availability Assessment (Progress Statement 2016)
- Economic Needs Study
- Retail Study 2017
- Open Space, Sports & Leisure Study (in preparation 2017)
- Strategic Flood Risk Assessment
- Swanley and Hextable Vision
- Green Belt Assessment
- Landscape Character Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment key map
- Affordable Housing / Commercial Viability update (in preparation 2017)
- Infrastructure Plan / Transport Update (in preparation 2017)
- Settlement Hierarchy update (in preparation 2017)
- Gypsy and Traveller Accomodation Assessment
A Sustainability Appraisal / Strategic Environmental Assessment (SA/SEA) is being prepared concurrently with the Local Plan.